Monday, January 3, 2011

10 Favourtites from 2010

Hi Everyone - 'tis me again. You can tell I'm on holidays, can't you - I 'm haunting blogland Teehee!
As promised, I am putting up my favourite scrappy moments from 2010.

I have consciously done this after my my favourite family moments because even though scrapping is my obsession, my family is my life - besides, without them, there'd be nothing to scrap, right?? LOL!!

Ok, well, first - this is my favourite photo I took this year, what a surprise it is of Connor. I took this in September at a pub in Bargara, Bundaberg. I like it because Connor is looking just so happy and relaxed. It also shows his personality so well - there is always an impish look about our son - he is so happy-go-lucky, and always ready for a game, or a joke or even just to play a trick. Yes, he is naughty at times, and sometimes needs his cheek pulled into line - but I love the fact he is so spirited and resilient. Funny thing is, I haven't scrapped it yet - hmmmm, must change that as soon as possible!!

Now, I have has some incredible highs in Scrapbooking this year, I was honoured to be selected to join the Addicted To Craft DT, Mel Heather asked me to be on the Kraft It Up Challenge Creative Team when it first started a year ago, and then THIS really made me smile:

No I wasn't made a Master this year - I didn't expect it either, but I did get TWO Honourable Mentions from the Masters Competition. I was absolutely stoked, because I am in awe of the talent of the New Masters, and I was in such unbelievable company getting honourable mentions, so I am quite proud of myself.

I got one HM for the Single Layout section - with this layout. This layout would be in my Top 10 for 2010 list, but I can't actually show it on it's on due to it being in the current issue of Scrapbooking Memories:0)

This is the other HM I got - for a double. I was so surprised that I got this HM due to the fact that I am so not good at doubles, and I have to be honest, I really didn't think this layout had what it takes...

I did it as a bit of a message to Connor - about how, since he is officially starting his learning this year, he must always remember that school isn't the only place and time you learn - sometimes life's lessons are the best teacher....

This year, I've found myself more willing to experiment with a variety of media to create my pages - a trend I've found is popular also amongst my scrappy friend. I am happiest playing with paints, inks, mists and fabrics to add texture and dimension to my pages. I've gone back to using texture paste, chipboard and some of the "older" style of scrapbooking embellishments, but I find I am using them in new ways. I am so excited to be part of such an evolving craft, and I love the enthusiasm for new ideas and techniques in the Scrapping community. I certainly hope to continue to develop my skills in this fabulous hobby.
Now, here are my Top 10 for 2010, in no particular order:
1. I did this layout for a challenge on the My Mind's Eye blog - MME are fast becomming one of my favourite manufacturer. I particularly loved this range - the black flocking on the Kraft was amazing.



2. This is one of my favourite all time photos, I am giving Connor a cuddle after his bath - and when I saw this Prima paper, I just had to use it to scrap it.




3. I remember having lots of fun with this layout - just loved using the fabric and the flower here - it was when I was just starting using a lot of fabric on my layouts.



4. This layout was done from a sketch by Wendy Smith for the Sketch challenge over at Anna's Craft Cupboard - it's of my Dad in about oh, Year 6. The range is from October Afternoon - and was one of my most used ranges this year, I just loved the colours and embies in this range.

5. This was one of the many, many snow holiday pictures I took - I am still working my way through them - haha. I went to town with the grunginess and technique here - embossed the cardstock, stamped, painted, glimmermisted, stitched - you name it, I did it!! Sometimes I just love having a "play." I have been really trying to use up some older bits and pieces this year - and this is someold WRMK Teenage Angst - with some old Prima Youth embellies.

5. Yet another snow photo - and again, did some distressing, glimermisting, painting - used masking too - also made the lollipops with denim and stamping - I used Fancy Pants Father and Son range - and again I love how all the bits game together to form a grungy, masculine layout which I hoped shows the love and admiration that Connor and his Dad share.

6. Yep, another MME range - this time it was the Meadowlark Range which Louisa from Addicted to Craft sent me to play with. This photo was one of those photos you take on the spur of the moment - Connor was actually at the time trying to muster up a pathetic face, because he was trying to get an ice block out of his grandparents - LOL - I love the black and white photo with the black and white paper, with just a touch of the MME Red Lush letters thrown in...
7. Once again, this was me using up some old papers and embies - this time the Rough and Tough range from Fancy Pants. I actually used a transparency on this layout - and adhered most of the elements of the page over it. Another experiment was the lifting of the middle photo on foam 3D dots - I think it worked will - what do you think??


8. I am soooo in love with these papers - Sass Lass, but I've forgotten the name of the range - my bad - all I know is I love using them with paint and lots of layering of fabric, doilies, pattern paper and ribbons to great an ultra shabby look. Really feminine for me - and a real change from my usually grungy look.

10. Finally, I instantly fell in love with the Earthy, yet bold colours of the Fancy Pants "Rusted Sun" range. This paper is absolutely gorgeous with its colours and designs, and was perfect for this photo, I thought. More distressing, inking, layering, oh, and another Transparency used in the title!!


So, if you are still reading this after my ultra long post (sorry 'bout that - I do tend to waffle a bit!) Thank you, hope you enjoyed my little "Show and Tell"

Cheers for now.

5 comments:

Ceci said...

I have to say he really is the spitting image of you Niq! Congrats on the HMs! I am just so in awe of your work, every layout has such a lovely quality to it. Happy New Year and hope you are having a great holiday! xx

Melleny Ams said...

Yay for you, well done on the HM's. Happy new year to you, enjoy your break

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Lovely show and tell!!! I so love all your layouts - fantastic work! My fave is Dreamer! You did so well to get 2 HMs! That's fantastic!!! :D

Jane said...

Congrats Niq, you've had a super successful and busy year, don't know how you do it - you're so inspiring :). Enjoy the next few weeks of holidays :)

Leonie said...

HI Niq, what a fantastic showcase of your LO's. They're brilliant!congrats on the 2 HM's, well done!